This soup is hearty and packed full of protein and flavour. It’s also super-easy to make. Lentils are simmered with vegetables and seasonings. Serve with crusty bread, if desired.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 385g dried lentils
- 400g passata
- 2 litres water
- 15g spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and add water and passata. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, stir in spinach and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper and more vinegar if desired.